Stepping Stones | Murfreesboro
In 2016, about 2,000 people in Rutherford County didn’t have a home, and 40% of them were families with children. Stepping Stones Safe Haven offers several services to our clients seeking to develop stability and consistency in their lives and the lives of their children. Our organization provides a Day Shelter and Night Shelter for homeless mothers with children and individual women (preference is given to mothers with children).
Day Shelter is offered to the community from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm seven days a week. It is available to clients who are approved to participate pending a background check and various local, state, and national registry checks because the safety of our volunteers, clients, and staff is of the utmost concern. Our Day Shelter offers clients an opportunity to come indoors from the elements. We offer participants a clean, spacious shower and restroom facility as well as a kitchen area for preparing meals. We also offer washer and dryer access to those participating in our shelter program. A media center with a computer and internet access is available for those individuals searching for employment opportunities.
Our Emergency Night Shelter is held from 4:00 pm through 8:00 am seven nights a week. Our Emergency Night Shelter is reserved for clients who are participating in either the Stepping Stones case management aspect of our program (lasting up to three months) or those who are registered with us for the Safe Haven temporary shelter aspect (lasting up to 45 days).
Our Emergency Night Shelter features all aspects of the Day Shelter with the addition of cots, pillows, linens, and blankets provided to accommodate participants with a safe and warm good night’s sleep.
Various community and church organizations have partnered with Stepping Stones Safe Haven and host our Emergency Night Shelter on their campuses. Transportation to and from The Haven to those campuses and back is provided.
At Stepping Stones, we have several ways for you to be involved. These each have various time requirements and commitment levels. Please visit our website for more information!
- Being a shelter representative who supports guests and staff by answering the door, checking in guests, assisting with supplies, interacting and encouraging guests, and monitors for any potential conflicts or concerns.
- Helping with transportation by taking guests to doctor’s appointments, resource appointments, interviews, etc.
- Providing meals through our Meal Program with dinner for 12 guests and that night’s hostess.
- Helping with the Moveout Team to assist guests as they move to their next step. Often collects household goods or physically assists on moving day.
- Be an overnight host. Sleeps in the front office/lobby area to monitor guests in the shelter through the night and address any conflicts/concerns.
- Help organize fundraising events with the planning committee.
Please click the “Serve” button for more information!
VOLUNTEER WITH ECC
Twice a month, The Experience Community Church hosts Stepping Stone’s Emergency Night Shelter. Every night that we host, we provide shelter, food, cozy blankets, kindness, and the love of Christ to our guests. Whether you have five minutes, an entire evening, or anything in between, we have a place you can serve. One week prior to each host night, a sign-up sheet is sent to the volunteers, which outlines all the opportunities to serve.
How you can help:
- Set-Up Crew
- Evening Transportation Team
- Hospitality Crew
- Overnight Hosts
- Meal Team
- Morning Transportation Team
- Tear-Down Crew
Please click the “Serve at ECC” button to register to volunteer!